If I don’t know what to make for dinner, I immediately turn to one of my favorite vegetables:
This is the typical childhood dinnertime nemesis, but I have always loved it! I will have it steamed, boiled, stir-fried, or raw, but my favorite way to eat this fluffy green veg is roasted until the edges are just slightly crispy. You may have seen it make some appearances as a side dish to some other dinner ideas such as my South African Pancake recipe. We really do enjoy it!
My main reason for posting this as a recipe is because the first time I made it, my fiancé looked terrified. He doesn’t really eat broccoli as just…broccoli. He’s used to it covered in cheese sauce or creamed together in some kind of a casserole. But just the other night while talking with friends, these words escaped his lips:
“Yeah, she has this way of making broccoli—plain broccoli— taste really good! Like really good!”
Well if I didn’t just swoon right there.
It occurred to me that people sometimes shy away from eating healthy food because they perceive it to be tasteless, gross, or very hard to make. And I am here to say healthy does not have to be hard! And this crispy roasted broccoli definitely passed the taste test.
This is a set it and forget it kind of dish. You can do it on just one baking sheet and I even line mine with foil so the pan isn’t dirtied! Brilliant.
So if you’re having some trouble finding a easy vegetable side dish, or you simply can’t fathom eating another bite of boring salad, give this crispy roasted broccoli a go.
What You’ll Need:
- 1-2 heads of raw broccoli
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (more if the stalks aren’t coated)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the broccoli into small stalks roughly the same size. About the length of your thumb.
- Lay out the stalks evenly on your lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over the stalks and lightly massage with your fingers so everything is evenly coated. You want the fuzzy bits to be coated too!
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder over the top so every stalk has a nice dusting of spices.
- Put into the oven and set your timer for 40-45 minutes.
- You may give them a flip halfway through, but I normally don’t!
- They are done when they can be easily pierced with a fork and the edges of the broccoli are just browned and slightly crispy.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
You may also put all your broccoli into a bowl and oil it there. I do it on the pan to dirty less dishes!
This is SO simple and SO delicious! You could include cauliflower on this roasting pan and it will do the same thing. This is great for dinner or for meal prep to eat throughout the week!
Roasting big pans of veggies is one of my favorite pastimes, so more easy side dish recipes to come!
Hope you like it!