If you have ever ordered the P.F. Changs lettuce cups, high five my friend, you know where its at.
If you haven’t, the time has come for you to reward your tastebuds with delectable, carb-less, magic.
Though those little babies come sans pita bread, taco shells, or another form of fried wheat, they are incredibly yummy, filling, and satisfying! Best of all, my fiancé is obsessed with them.
Not specifically the P.F. Changs kind (note to self: take him there when we’re back in the USA), but a kind he had onboard the ship we used to work on.
I decided to try out my own healthier version a few months back! We found ground chicken (very hard to find here in Pretoria) and Wouter had been asking for me attempt our own at-home lettuce cup version, so off I went. We have minimal resources for asian sauces and spices, so I make due with what I have in the cupboard. Feel free to try out different spices and/or sauces to make this dish fit your tastebuds. Using the chicken mince made this dish a little lighter, adding lots of veggies gave it a nutritional boost, and minimal cooking time makes it that much better. There is something so satisfying about the warm savory flavor of the mince, and the crispy cool crunch of the fresh lettuce cups. This meal is light on the tummy AND the conscience, and it is also very filling!
So what are you waiting for?
De-LITE-fully Simple Chicken Lettuce Cups
What You’ll Need:
1-2 TBSP olive oil
Head of green or butter lettuce. Can even use romaine lettuce boats!
500g ground chicken
1 onion diced
250g button mushrooms diced
250g McCain frozen veg (diced carrot, pea, corn)
—you caan use fresh if you want!
1 green onion chopped
1 TBSP Crushed Garlic
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup liquid aminos (soy sauce is fine too!)
1 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp chili flakes
About 1 tsp or so of corn starch to thicken (optional)
- Heat pan on medium heat and add oil.
- Add diced onion, garlic and mushrooms to pan. Cook for 3-5 mins.
- Once they’ve softened add McCain veggies (or your own fresh veg) and about 1/2 of the liquid aminos
- Sauté all veggies for 5-7 more minutes, stirring occasionally
- Move veggies to the side of pan and add ground chicken
- Add the rest of your liquid aminos and season with powdered garlic and ginger
- Cover and cook for 5 mins
- Remove lid and break up chicken with your spatula.
- Stir every 3 mins or so until chicken has browned to your liking
- Add seasonings of choice and mix in some corn starch if you want the liquid in the pan to thicken up a bit. (I personally like this addition because it makes the mixture a little less likely to drip out of your lettuce cups!)
- Sprinkle green onion over the top.
Serve with lettuce leaves. Spoon mixture into the lettuce cups and go to town!
This is a fun dinner that requires a little bit of action and we really love it! Feel free to change things up, use different meat or different vegetables, try new spices or add avocado! Personally, I think this dish would be phenomenal with some water chestnuts and bamboo shoots, but alas, I had none. C’est la vie.
Enjoy this easy peasy meal that won’t break the bank or your New Years goals. Eating light can be easy and delicious!