I think this is the recipe that got the biggest “WOW” from my main squeeze AND a request for these cookies on Christmas. I don’t know why the Christmas request but I’ll take that as a compliment.
My time in South Africa is coming to an end so I have been doing my best to use only what we have left in the cupboards. Especially being the one who really bakes and cooks in this household, I don’t want to waste money on extra supplies I know won’t be utilized once I’m outta here.
Tonight after dinner I was craving something sweet. I have some ingredients but as we’d already used cassava flour at dinner this evening, I didn’t want to make ANOTHER thing with cassava flour (Lets be honest, it makes me a little gassy. Not cute.)
I’ve experimented with mug cakes, mug cookies, no-bake bites and all. That just wasn’t gonna cut it. I had heard that there are some people in the paleo and keto communities who were making cookies and no-bake bites with JUST nut butters.
How very interesting. I have a big ol’ jar of OhMega almond butter calling to me from the the pantry. The time has come. I wanted some old fashioned cookies and milk, dang it!
I did not want to make a whole batch because: DANGER. But just a couple for me and my man on this drizzly night in? Yes please.
This small-batch recipe is delicious and perfect for portion control, so if you’re looking for a healthier swap for those flour-filled, white sugar-laden chocolate chip cookies, THIS IS IT.
These cookies are fantastically chewy with delectable crispy edges, and go perfectly with…well…just about anything. You would never know they are completely free of flour and dairy.
Now, my personal opinion is that you could lessen the sugar down to 1/4 cup and they would still be nice and sweet, especially if you don’t have a lot of wiggle room in your daily sugar intake. Using coconut sugar or brown sugar is best because it caramelizes better than white sugar, giving you a chewier cookie. I also recommend using almond butter due to the more neutral taste, but I am also not a huge fan of peanut butter cookies. These babies don’t taste overly nutty and will seriously transport you back to your mom’s Tollhouse best.
This recipe makes 4 solid-sized cookies. Run—don’t walk—to your kitchen and you could be in warm, gooey, chewy, chocolate chip cookie heaven in less than 15 minutes.
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 cup Almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (but try 1/4 cup for a slightly less sweet, but still delish cookie)
- 2 TBSP beaten egg—either use one egg and save the rest for tomorrow brekkie, or use liquid egg beaters!
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir with a spatula until well combined.
- Drop the batter (about 1.5-2 inch in size) and smooth into round blobs so they are even. Leave about 2 inches between cookies because they spread a little.
- Let bake in oven for about 10 minutes or until edges are brown.
- Remove and allow cool on the baking sheet for 2-5 minutes. Doing this lets these cookies firm up a bit.
- Serve and enjoy!
And that’s it! Delicious, chewy, and decadent chocolate chip cookies without a speck of flour in sight! You can make the cookies smaller or double the recipe for a bigger crowd!
Try them out and tell me what you think!