Warning: There is NO Spaghetti in this Veggie Spaghetti
I giggled to myself while making this because, as you know, I love to throw in extra veggies into every dish I make. This one was inspired by what I had in the fridge (shredded chicken) and a side comment from the fiancé saying he’d love some pasta. Sure, pasta was mentioned, but you better believe I was going to switch and add as many things possible to make this a veggie-full meal.
In place of pasta, I used spiralized veggies. I used store bought rotisserie chicken (that I shredded) and my only prep was chopping up the onion and mushrooms! See, my fiancé doesn’t love mushrooms, but I know that if I chop them into small pieces and cook them down, I can get an entire cup or so into this tomato-y sauce and he’ll love it all the same! As for the spinach, it cooks down so fast, when in doubt, just throw in another handful. It won’t ruin a thing!
I have to be honest, this is barely a recipe! It’s more of a throw-together. I happened to have the rest of a rotisserie chicken left in the fridge (one of my favorite cheap and easy lunch/dinner/snack options) as well as more of the spiralized veggies I found earlier in the week. You are more than welcome to add more or different veggies! This is the version I knew would please my fiancé’s homey tastes, but also pack the nutritional punch I desired.
I love the mischievous, tricky, and triumphant feeling of sneaking in as many veggies as possible into our meals without even a side eye from the man. Mwhahaha!
I will also include an easy homemade shredded chicken if you’d rather make it yourself.
Easy Shredded Chicken Veggie Spaghetti
What You’ll Need:
350g (about 12oz) spiralized veggie of choice
1 1/2 cup shredded chicken
1 onion roughly chopped
1 punnet mushrooms, chopped
4+ handfuls of Spinach
1 can diced tomato (crushed is fine)
1 tbsp crushed garlic
Salt and pepper to your liking
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add spiralized veggies. Let simmer for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Turn the stovetop to medium and oil a large pan.
- Add chopped onion and crushed garlic. Cook onions until they brown.
- Add chopped mushrooms. Let them soften for another 2 minutes.
- Throw 2-3 handfuls of spinach in and stir until it wilts.
- Pour the diced tomato into the pan and stir all ingredients. Add another handful or two of spinach! Why not?
- Drain your spiralized veggies and add them to the pan with the chicken.
- Stir until well incorporated. Add more spinach if you’re feeling healthy!
- Serve and enjoy!
Homemade Shredded Chicken Version:
- Pour the diced tomato, chopped onion, garlic, and chopped mushrooms into a pot.
- Place your chicken (about 2-3 breasts depending on size. 8-10 oz) into the
- tomato mixture, add about a 1/2 cup of water (if needed) to cover the breasts with a 1/2 inch or so of liquid.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer fo 15 minutes or so until the chicken is fully cooked.
- About halfway through, add your spiralized veggies so they can soften.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, you can either remove it from the pot and and shred it on a cutting board, or just do it right in the pot!
- Add your spinach and stir until it cooks down.
- Add another handful of spinach, because: HEALTH.
- Once everything is nice and incorporated, season more to taste and voila! Serve and enjoy!
Like I said, this is so easy it should barely count as a recipe. But I know when I have something like this to serve, my fiancé is getting more than enough veggies for the day! Shoutout to all the people cooking for sometimes-unadventurous eaters! I love that it encourages me to find the “delicious” in healthy eating, not just the “nutritious.”
We still have leftovers and if I do say so myself, it is super yum with a poached egg in the morning. Go for it!